Here’s a quick, easy and no-fuss meal to make in a pinch. Plus, it is a tasty and healthy meal! This recipe feeds four. Adjust to the size of your crowd, knowing this is a forgiving guideline that will taste good with this or that added to scale up. Printable recipe here.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- Over medium heat in a large skillet, saute chicken breasts in a tablespoon of olive oil. About ten minutes.
- Add your jar of salsa, bringing to a simmer.
- Lower heat and cover pan. Simmer about ten minutes.
- Add your can of black beans. Simmer until chicken is cooked through. At this point you can leave the chicken as is, or shred and return to the pot.
- Serve over rice.
- Serve this yummy dish with cold salsa, hot sauce, avocado, lettuce, tomato, green onions or whatever else you have handy.
- Try replacing the rice with cous cous, quinoa or even pasta depending on what you have in your cupboard.
- Pick up extra salsa for your pantry in unusual flavors like mango, pineapple or cowboy caviar to have options on-hand.
- Package and re-heat for lefover lunches.
This recipe will inspire you once you’ve made it. You’ll think of all kinds of things to add, and it makes an awesome fridge clean-out kind of meal. Nutritious, tasty, fast and easy!