As regular readers of this blog already know, I like to avoid pre-mixed spices and spice kits for marinades, sauces, and so on. I was just mixing up a batch of taco seasonings for tonight’s dinner when it occurred to me to share my recipe (which is really pretty flexible depending on your taste).
- 1/4 cup Green/Chipotle/Regular Chili Powder (choose one or blend)
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 3 teaspoons Smoked Paprika (any paprika will do if you don’t have smoked)
- 3 tablespoons Ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Black Pepper
If you like hotter, smokier or milder seasoned taco meat/beans, adjust the recipe to taste.
Mix all ingredients in a container with a lid or a Ziploc bag. Use two tablespoons mix per pound of meat or beans (batch). Store remaining mix, labeled for future use.